Monday, August 6, 2007

D'oh!

Slogging through the dozens of spam messages in my inbox on Friday, I came across one with this subject line:

"Cell Phones Help Minneapolis Bridge Collapse"

No, it wasn't sent by some neo-Luddite conspiracy theorist; rather, it was sent by some business technology news outfit.

The headline in the message text itself was more clear:

"Mobile Phones Help Minneapolis Rescue Efforts for Bridge Collapse"

Ah, I see.

Now, I can't help but wonder: Was the wording of the subject line accidental, due to the human capacity for poor proofreading, or intentional, given a spammer's capacity to write attention-getting subject lines that will prompt the reader to want to read more?

I'm normally inclined to guess that incompetence is the answer, but in this case, I'd have to guess the latter.

No comments: