Wednesday, May 16, 2007

"I Have No Doubt He Will Be Beatified."


--Pope Benedict, speaking last week about Archbishop Oscar Romero, who was assassinated while celebrating Mass in San Salvador, El Salvador on 24 March 1980.

I've had a special admiration for Romero ever since I first saw the eponymous film about his life (and death) -- an admiration that was strengthened greatly when my wife and I visited his tomb during a trip to El Salvador seven years ago.

If you haven't seen the movie, run, don't walk, to the nearest Blockbuster and rent it. Or, better yet, stay where you are and get it from Netflix.

This is hardly an “I’m gonna make me some popcorn and take it easy tonight” type of movie, but as far as showing the ugly reality of man’s inhumanity to man, and the insane brutality that so typified life in Central America in the last quarter of the last century, it’s amazing. The closing scene, and a few others, too, are absolutely stunning -- all the more so, because despite some artistic license, the movie is depicting events that really happened.

More background on Romero here.

No comments: