Monday, January 17, 2011

Misused Quotation Marks

A while back I came across these examples of signage with unnecessary quotation marks, and I've since discovered there's a blog dedicated exclusively to chronicling same.

Last month I found three examples of my own on Chicago's Northwest Side.

#1:



Who cares how bad your credit it? No need to worry about getting financing here! Absolutely none!

#2:



Because everybody knows there's no such thing as a free lunch comparative market analysis.

And, speaking of lunch, this one is my favorite:



I'll eat Just About Anything, but even I am leery of what I'd be served at a place that serves not breakfast, but "breakfast," not lunch, but "lunch," and not dinner, but "dinner."

1 comment:

The Dutchman said...

I was once in a supermarket where they had a sign reading: MILLER LITE "BEER." At first I thought the quotation marks were misused, but then I remembered that "Lite Beer" isn't really beer at all.